Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Third Grade Coffee Addiction, Machetes, and Novelas


My neighbor trims his bushes with a machete. In his defense, the bushes are perfectly manicured  so I can't debate its effectiveness. I spied my neighbor with the weapon ummm trimming tool on a normal Monday morning. After a lively inner debate on "what to say to a man with a machete in the morning", I ended up with some awkward version of, "Buenos Dias." I sorta regret not asking him and his wife more about the bush cutting technique. Next time.
Tonight I came home to a  neighborhood buzz. Within minutes, a few kids swarmed my car to let me know the latest...a Colombian family moved in. Apparently a handful of the boys are already crushing on the new girl  who rides a scooter. This in and of itself has started a frenzy of rumors.
I learned the family is from Bogota, Colombia and are seeking political asylum here. The father of the family, with a master degree who worked as an electrical engineer, was installing sheet rock today in the area. This flies in the face of any assumptions I ever had of construction workers.
In addition, we also learned the toddler of the Colombian family left fame and fortune behind. Apparently, he was a regular actor on a popular telenovela. The teenager of the family gave us the whole scoop as he played salsa tunes on his cellphone and made us hungry discussing Colombian cuisine. He starts 10th grade next week.
Last Sunday, three coffee drinking 3rd graders attended church with me. These Latinas arrived at my apartment sporting glitter high tops and ready for chocolate chip pancakes. One of them asked if I could be her mother- in- law. I am fairly certain she has no clue what that means but it warmed my heart anyways:-) After Sunday School  we hovered over the coffee machines where we often do our foam cup  "clash of the culture moment". Often, well-meaning individuals shoot surprising glances and question the girls on their choice of beverage. Once we enter church, the girls rotate between half-way listening, word searches on Elsa the frozen cartoon, drawing pictures on the bulletin and whispering their numerous questions on spiritual things to me. In the middle of the service I noticed one of the girls wrote something which I treasure. She later told me that her mom forbids her to have a Bible in her home.

                                                                      The picture says:
                                    "I love God he is my life. He is good. I see him he sees me too."

                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment