Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Monday, February 15, 2016

A love worth celebrating. Sometimes that involves cupcakes.



I have been excited about Valentine’s day for weeks.  However, the irony is my anticipation has nothing to do with a hot date or the deals on dark chocolate. This year,  I can confidently blame the late St. Valentine for making me over the moon about the whole thing.  

Let me explain.  

You see weeks before Valentine’s day, I found myself knee-deep in extensive research (or I just used google) to uncover the truth about good old St. Valentine. As I read, I struck gold in wading     through fact, fiction and legend of his life.

One common thread did not change:

St. Valentine was martyred out of a refusal to deny his faith. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, his day of death fell on Feb 14, the day he demonstrated the ultimate act of sacrifice by giving up his life. So, cheesy teddy bears and half-off chocolate bars there you have it. Stripped to its core, the day began with a man loving God. The God who is the author of love and demonstrated his love for us by laying down his life for us. This is a love worth celebrating.

How deep the Father’s love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.

So for me, really, Valentine's day is about reflecting on God's love....and it may have also involved washi tape, cupcakes, calligraphy and a kid named Chuy giving me a flower.












No comments:

Post a Comment