Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Briana, the first grader and I tutor and I chillin

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Late night chats, Porches and Parking lots

Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone. ‭Colossians‬ ‭4‬:‭5-6‬ NLT

Sometimes I run into my apartment from my car and avoid my neighbors.
Especially on the long days after lending my exhausted ear after a day of counseling. Frankly, I don't have the energy. Sometimes my avoidance is wisdom and a part of setting healthy boundaries with others but sometimes I am being selfish, rude and am missing opportunities. This came to light during several late night chats.
Over the last few weekends, I have found myself in the twilight hours talking with women at my apartment complex on porches or in parking lots. A week ago I sat on lawn chairs with a group of  Senoras, as we swapped stories, family photos and struggles under the night sky and in front of a group of kids jumping rope. It was bonding.
Last night I debated having conversation with anyone.  As I started my predictable scurry routine from my car to avoid human contact something stopped me. My neighbor was outside with the hood of her car raised as she tinkered and poured water into something. She greeted me. Pause. In my mind there were the excuses. My purse was heavy. Ridiculously heavy. It was nearing midnight. Not sure what made me choose to hault and not bolt to my door.
After we exchanged some chitchat, and I set my bag of bricks down, we found ourselves in the middle of an honest conversation about God, how neither of us have it together, how to have a relationship with God and making sense of God in the trials. The time was closed in prayer.
As I entered my apartment I felt sobered. I don't like interruptions. I don't want life messier than it is and don't like my schedule changed. It is easier and more convenient to run.  However, as in the life of Jesus, interruptions may be opportunities. Especially, under the stars through random late night chats.

                             Pupusas, a  dish from El Salvador, made with Amor from a Senora




No comments:

Post a Comment